Monday, October 26, 2009

Free Your Spirit this Halloween!


Halloween is my favorite holiday. There is a sense of freedom I feel during Halloween like no other. It's an opportunity to step out of my normalcy and free my spirit. This is the hat I'll be wearing this year, as I traditionally pass out a champagne treat to the adults.

Halloween's origins date back 2000 years, to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in). Celts believed that on the night before the new year (Nov. 1st), the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred.

In Mexico Los Dias de los Muertos is a time of remembering and rejoicing. They dress up as ghouls, ghosts, mummies and skeletons and parade through the town. They also create magnificent alters in the cemeteries and bring food for a picnic lunch by a loved ones grave. The monarch butterflies returning from the summer months spent up north, are believed to bring the spirit of those that have died. They are reunited with them on this special day.

I admit that I have a fascination with death. In my view, death is a celebration of a life complete. When some one dies, of course I'm as sad as any other person, but I'm also a bit jealous. Talk about freedom, what can feel freer than to detach from your earthly bounds, to have no form in which to hold and shape you, to fly! In my view there's no escaping the inevitable, so why not accept and get comfortable with the fact, rather than get grossed out in the mortality of it all.

Orbs of energy are our true form and relatively speaking, since time is endless, we are only in our current mortal bodies for a spec of a moment.

So why not celebrate a life complete as well as our time here, all in one lovely night.

Happy Halloween!

No comments: